T O P

/r/UK Weekly Freetalk - COVID-19, News, Random Thoughts, Etc

/r/UK Weekly Freetalk - COVID-19, News, Random Thoughts, Etc

robstar211

I am fuming I can't get fuel anywhere. I got home with 0 miles All 4 petrol stations all out of fuel. I literally have no way of getting to work tomorrow. South East UK for reference. A 20 mile bike ride is the only option (no efficient bus routes)


R_Jay101

Why the fuck are the BBC putting "Petrol stations are running dry" as the first thing on the 10pm news??? Fucking irresponsible reporting.


Mr_XcX

Panic buyers should get the biggest arsehole for 2021 award. They've made this fuel crisis worse than it needed to be. I suspect things back to normal sooner than expected. Media also have some blame for this and I hope the Government takes action regarding how reckless they have been contributing to the scare stories.


quitmoaning

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but seems as good as any. I want to buy a car on a somewhat limited budget. I also want to get a good 5 or 6 years out of it. Is it best to buy a new, low spec small car, therefore have a warranty, or are there any good guidelines or tips on getting good quality and value second hand so I can get something a bit nicer? Would appreciate any good car buying resources.. Thanks


StumbleDog

There's a car sub r/cartalkuk


quitmoaning

Thank you. Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.


BrightCandle

A car looses a huge chunk of value the moment it comes off the forecourt. So cars that are just a year old are often substantially cheaper and don't necessarily have all that many miles on them compared to their expected remaining lifetime. The main concern is avoiding a lemon vehicle that has a lot of problems and its the reason its been sold rather than the people who always seem to buy new cars at the 1 year point.


quitmoaning

Thanks for taking the time. Yes, this makes sense as a big chunk of that first payment is the manufacturer and retailer's profit. I think my biggest challenge will be to find the best value. There seems to be loads of big sites like Cazoo, Heycar, and Cinch etc. But they all seem to be much of a muchness. I can't work out whether I'm better off going private, independent, or to one of those bigger sites. Something about them tells me I'm not gonna get great value. I really can't help thinking there is good value to be had out there, I just don't know where to look :O


robstar211

I am currently looking for an estate / 4x4. As hard as it is, stick to ebay. Create a watch list and keep trawling through that. Cinch and all the other second hand car sales are inflated ex fleet cars or px cars. Stick to eBay, Gumtree and fb market place. Weed out the good deals, low miles and don't rush anything


quitmoaning

Thank you. Will certainly add that to my options. I have a couple of months.


ad1075

God I hate this country. On one hand, blame the panic buyers who've emptied the petrol stations so I can't fill my car for work tomorrow. On the other, this fucking government. After months of "X will not happen" and then X happening (lockdowns, u-turns, the lot) they've now failed to prepare for this. Issue is, they've lied so often, nobody believes them anymore. In fact it's the opposite - people believe the opposite to what they tell them. It's a complete loss of governance because nobody believes a word they say.


Mr_XcX

No. It's the media that has caused this in addition to public being selfish. The media have been sending front page articles saying "FUEL SHORTAGES!" then reporting on the ensuring panic as if they should take no blame. The government doing a great job and once again I am sick to the back teeth of people using another crisis caused by the pandemic to blame them or Brexit. We don't buy it and will not buy it.


ad1075

>The government doing a great job Lying through their back teeth and then u-turning doesn't seem like they're doing a good job. But if you think they're doing a good job, I'm glad you do. I'd suggest seeing a doctor but you'd struggle to get an appointment within the next six years. Ironically this isn't necessarily Brexit's fault or problem, it's that it wasn't managed. They had plenty of advance warning this would become an issue. But they act too late on everything.


Mr_XcX

No need to resort to personal attacks. The government are doing a good job considering we have been hit by the worst global pandemic not seen in a 100 years. The shortages and supply problems are being seen across the globe. [https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-25/the-world-economy-s-supply-chain-problem-keeps-getting-worse](https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-25/the-world-economy-s-supply-chain-problem-keeps-getting-worse) Have you ever thought to ask yourselves why Tories and Boris still remain popular?? It's because the public understand they're doing a good job and don't play the politics of hindsight like the opposition does or listen to the snide sniping coming from those with a very clear agenda to just attack this government at all costs


ad1075

One of the worst death tolls in the world because of consistent delayed action. Sending infected patients into care homes. The constant lies and u-turns. People vote for them because they want their house prices to stay the same and don't like homes being built.


Mr_XcX

Worst death tolls is not the Governments fault. Playing politics over a deadly pandemic which was a shitshow across the globe in 2020 is not a good look. U-Turns on Covid when the science was ever changing and new data being presented again is not a good argument. Would you prefer Boris stuck to a single policy and not listen to scientific advice?? Not to mention Boris also have to balance health considerations with economy. The measures Rishi put in place helped keep us in very good economic state going into 2021. I think that was a major success for Boris and the government. Plus the vaccine rollout was a massive success and saved thousands of lives. Good Sir Keir Hindsight wanted us in european vaccines agency and we all know how that would have turned out,


ad1075

>Playing politics Ah yes, so you've bought Boris' excuse. >Would you prefer Boris stuck to a single policy and not listen to scientific advice?? But that's exactly it?... He didn't? He locked down late and cost people their lives. Infected patients sent into care homes. The lot. >The measures **Rishi** put in place helped keep us in very good economic state going into 2021. I think that was a **major success for Boris** and the government. Pick one. Strange how you think I'm arsed about Keir Starmer. It's not even a Tory issue, as much as they've fucked this country up the arse for theast decade. It's Boris being inept and unable to do a job, it wouldn't be half as bad if we actually had a capable leader in charge. What's your opinion on him spaffing public money up the wall on his flat? >U-Turns on Covid And the other dozen u-turns on non-covid issues? Amazing how our excuse for one of the worst death tolls is that it was a global pandemic and we were struggling. Was every other country not facing the same? But managed not to reach our high score? Almost as if their leadership and public policy had an effect. But they didn't do as a good a job as _us_ did they? Surely not... The lack of HGV drivers is not a covid problem either. Excusing their failing on this and lumping it in with microchip shortages and the likes is clutching at straws.


BrightCandle

I don't think its clear yet if its panic buying or there is a systemic problem underpinning. It started with the announcement that some stations were out of fuel, then its leaked that there are supply reductions everywhere as BP talked to the government about the problem and now certain areas are out of fuel completely. If it goes on past Friday you'll know that the panic buy was a smokescreen for what is really a systemic problem.


ad1075

Just seen a guy breakdown at the traffic lights opposite an empty petrol station. Some Sunday


StumbleDog

Dunno if anyone else has heard the AO.com ads on the radio at the moment but why is the mother portrayed like a senile 90 year old lady whilst the father sounds about 50 and the kids about 20. Just sounds weird.


Torquemada1970

I tried posting a story from the Daily Express website - and got an autoreply that the domain was blacklisted. Why is the Express banned? What other newspapers/ domains are banned? I already made a post asking this, [but it was manually removed](https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/pvrvcr/just_tried_to_post_something_and_got_an_autoreply/)


Leonichol

Indeed it is. While before my time, I _may_ recall a mod saying it was due to vote manipulation/spamming of the subreddit by staffers. Though I may be getting confused with the Metro. As for what is on the list... a lot. Mostly spam sites.


tmstms

That's DEFINITELY the reason, but the actual incidents were before my time also.


Jim-Jams1

Currently stuck in Sussex and need to get home to Norfolk. Its a 3 hour drive and there's no petrol anywhere. Check the train times and they way £82 for a 5 hour 42 minute journey. Absolute madness


Paperduck2

Cheers to all the panic buyers, I need to rush my dog to the vets but can't get him there because all the petrol stations in my area are shut and even the taxis have run out


oalfonso

Repeat with me: "There are no unskilled workers!!!". This is just medium-upper class bullshit to look over the shoulder the working class. Except royal family member, of course, you don't need any skill to perform their job.


LostHumanFishPerson

Anyone else miss lockdown a tiny bit? Having to actually do stuff is stressful.


Heifurbdjdjrnrbfke

God no, worst few months of my life.


cantsleepclownswillg

Yes, because maybe then my 35 year old daughter in law might not have had to be blue lighted into hospital at 4 this morning with suspected pneumonia and sepsis due to Covid. This hasn’t gone away, and it’s killing over a thousand people in the U.K. a *month*. To say this government is criminally negligent is a gargantuan understatement.


mittenclaw

That sounds terribly upsetting for you. As a fellow 35 hear old I’m curious, would you mind telling me what her vaccination status was, and any health issues/bmi? I’m still unsure how afraid I should be of this thing.


cantsleepclownswillg

She had only had one shot (she was pregnant and at the time there was little info on safety of vaccine during pregnancy). And, to be honest, she was a little blasé about it, even though her brother had spent 6 weeks in hospital last Christmas with Covid. Her BMI is smack bang in normal, and no other health issues. Don’t be *scared* of it.. just get your shots, and continue to take the sensible precautions.. wear a mask. Wash your hands etc…. Just don’t take for granted that your experience if you catch it will be “mild”. Technically, I had “mild” Covid, and dodged hospital but the skin of my teeth (mainly due to no room!). I would rather have just about anything else than catch this again. The response like the guy below are either from people who either had it and barely noticed, or don’t know anyone that had it bad… I’ve lost two work colleagues to this and nearly lost a few more. It’s not over, and people need to stop thinking that it is. Edit: changed “guy above” to “guy below”


mittenclaw

Thanks for elaborating. I wish her all the best. I know people who have died too and can easily tell among my friends who doesn’t share that experience. I guess that’s how we humans learn, only first hand.


Ascott1989

You'll be shocked to hear how many people die in the UK every week.


cantsleepclownswillg

Ok. Tell me which of your relations you’d like to nominate for this weeks Covid cull?


Yvellkan

No. Not in the least. In fact the remnants of lockdown we still have like not being able to do anything impulsively because everything needs to be booked are annoying as fuck and the lack of things like walk in clinics and the nhs still acting like they are closed to everyone but covid patients. The only thing I miss is the lower amount of traffic.


williamthebloody1880

> In fact the remnants of lockdown we still have like not being able to do anything impulsively because everything needs to be booked are annoying as fuck Not happening. Sorry, it's just not


Yvellkan

Oh so you can just turn up at a swimming pool?


williamthebloody1880

That's because councils have decided you need to book, not the government. That's also one thing, not everything. You don't have to book everything in advance. It's just not happening


Yvellkan

Explain why I have to book climbing for the kids then too?


williamthebloody1880

OK, if you have to book everything, as you said, explain why last weekend me and my parents were able to walk into multiple pubs over the three days without having a booking? The explanation for the climbing is the same as the swimming pool you already asked about: the people who run it have made that decision


Yvellkan

So basically your argument is vecause you can go to the pubs everything js back to normal. Laughable


williamthebloody1880

Less laughable than your argument that nothing is back to normal just because you have to book a couple of things


Yvellkan

Literally every activity needs booking


DeadeyeDuncan

Global Citizen **Live** on BBC One. How come it is night in London where it is filming, but still daylight where I am in Kent? 🤔 It's a conspiracy


Philsredditaccount1

Smog blocking out the sun


Yvellkan

I hope to God dazn starts taking all the fights off sky box office in the uk. Box office ease to watch on any device is so shit compared to dazn. Its like going back 10 years.


Jmaie

How do we go about starting a real movement in this country to oppose the austerity forced upon us by our government? I'm sick of watching our "leaders" represent only the mega wealthy and not the rest of us. The systems is just fucked and we sit by and let it happen.


Yvellkan

Mods are removing our comments from each other... not sure why.


Yvellkan

The system works fine.


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


[deleted]

[удалено]


Mr_XcX

The government got elected with the largest majority since 2005. That is democracy. The system is not fucked. I am very happy with how the country is at the moment. What has happened is Covid a deadly global pandemic not seen in 100 years has knoced everything off kilter.


Leonichol

> I am very happy with how the country is at the moment. Now I may not merrily subscribe so readily to the doom-laden nutterisms that some of the subbies here do... But objectively, it is clear to see that things are not as rosy as they used to be, for the majority. And especially not for the dominant demographic herein.


Mr_XcX

Not now due to Covid. I was saying I was happy with Boris in office and the majority he has compared to alternative of a Corbyn government and there is no way on Earth I am voting Labour given state they're in now. I don't know how anyone can vote Labour ATM


Jmaie

You argue the system is fine yet admit you only have one other option to vote for. I will agree that Labour is a mess and has no clear vision. They need to be the polar opposite of the Tories not just a Tory Lite party. But do keep talking and you might come to some more realisations all by yourself.


Mr_XcX

The system is fine because I am happy with Boris in power. Same as with May. I think the failure of opposition parties is due to them. Failure. In terms of FPTP I prefer it because coalition during 2017 - 2019 was worst parliament since Cromwell. Strong Governments with strong majorities are needed. I actually voted Labour when Ed Miliband was against Call Me Dave. Now I don't see myself ever going back. In terms of Brexit I will never forgive Labour and the stance they took. Corbyn aside it was just so insulting.


Jmaie

"The system is fine because I am happy with it" This has to be the weakest arguement I've ever had in response to a point I've made and only further serves to discredit your opinion further. I'll give you an opportunity to clarify as everything you say after that no longer has merit.


Mr_XcX

So your argument is the system is not okay cause you're not happy with it. I love our system of Government. Less coalitions, no two party politics like America, FPTP ensures MPs are accountable in local areas and can get a boot up their arse and fired. If your not happy cause Tories are dominating then sorry tough for you. Labour were in control for more than a decade. Lib Dems were in power from 2010 - 2015 in coalition and used their power their power to betray their own voters. SNP leading Scotland with Tories competing as official opposition. Labour wiped out after previously dominating. That is democracy IMO and shows power changing across various political spectrum. Just cause Tories doing well now that justifies PR or system being overhaul and mass protests??? Grow up quite frankly.


Jmaie

Didn't see the notification for your response sorry about the wait. No that is not my arguement. I've laid out my points in the previous comments. I dislike austerity as an example. We have a two party system just like America idk what you mean in that regard. You admitted you only had Labour as your other choice. I'm not unhappy because the Tories are dominating. I'm unhappy because none of the parties you've listed serve the interests of 99% of the population. If they did, they would tax the mega wealthy and enforce tax policies instead of letting them get away with BILLIONS in tax. FPTP does fuck all when our MPs are being lobbied left right and centre. The system needs an overhaul regardless of who is in power. It serves the political elite while doing lip service for the rest of us while they increase our taxes and costs of living. Fuck off telling me to grow up btw. You have brainrot from years of capitalist propaganda and you need to address that.


Leonichol

> I don't know how anyone can vote Labour ATM Pre-COVID, said demo wasn't thriving either. It doesn't matter who _does_ get in when you've been shat on since leaving school. Recessions. House prices. Jobs. Inflation. Student loans. Increased taxation. Yadayada... Only that the people responsible for it are removed. It is merely icing on the cake that the alternative, is offering to help instead.


Jmaie

Aaaaah this all just sounds like Tory talking points from someone who doesn't live from paycheck to paycheck. Our government has an "advisor board" of wealthy donors who literally discuss policy with our MPs. MPs accept their money to push for changes that helps the wealthy and screws over the rest of us. HMRC allows billions of unpaid tax to be ignored all the while it's funding is continuously taken away. They cant do their job properly all while employing advisors from big business the write the tax policy. The privatisation of our public services from rail, energy, and healthcare to make more money for the 1%. Banks go bust and we pay for it. We pay for everything and see nothing given back. I really don't think blaming today's problems on covid is even remotely fair as this has long been in the works since Thatcher. Plus to ignore the media's role in backing the government is also disingenuous. You are also not addressing the austerity I've brought up by that's probably by choice. I just don't see how people in this country are, and have been for years, going hungry and relying on food banks and you can be "very happy" about it.


Mr_XcX

My life is going well. During the Blair years my family were in real struggle but we never blamed the Labour Government for our problems. When do you look to yourself as an individual for what has gone wrong in your life. The state cannot be expected to solve all individual problems. I was pointing out that the Conservative Government we elected on a very strong mandate. In terms of austerity I do agree it was disgusting under Call Me Dave and Osborne and I appreciate that May / Boris have tried to stop that. Yet that doesn't change fact we had a global pandemic not seen in a 100 years which has made borrowing go to around WWII crisis levels.


Jmaie

There is nothing wrong with my life either. I simply can see the suffering and abuse that the British people go through under capitalism and wish to do something about it. Anecdotal arguments mean nothing when the stats show more and more wealth, ESPECIALLY during the pandemic that you love to bring up as an excuse, has been shifting towards the 1%. When we should have been helping people get through the crisis we instead lined the pockets of private interests. The state solves the problems of big business all the time. Why can't they solve ours too? The provide billions in subseries and bailouts regularly and yet cant seem to find the money to house our homeless or feed our children. May and Boris haven't done shit and I am shocked you truly think that despite the increase in NI and energy bills that happened just this week.


leaflace

Sods law I'm going to lake District for a holiday today. Had to get up at 6am to go fill up because yesterday people were queuing around roundabouts at 10pm. Country of Muppets..


oalfonso

A friend yesterday was to go from Milton Keynes to Exeter to watch the Chiefs - Saints rugby match and had to cancel the trip because he wasn't sure he would find a petrol station with Diesel. Muppets!


ItsComingYouSoupFuck

On the plus side, the lakes might be quiet because everyone's saving petrol. Edit - Spelling


Yvellkan

Enjoy the lakes mate... try not to let the idiots get to you


leaflace

Cheers!


Extreme_Kale_6446

Just seems to me that quality of life in the UK is tanking atm: we now have inflation at 4%, which is already visible in the food bill, the price of energy increasing massively, to top it off there's a tax increase in April with the NI rates changing and I'm sure the local councils will again increase the council tax rates above the rate of inflation (my increase was 7% last year)


oalfonso

The biggest trick in the inflation is House prices are not part of the metric.


drwert

You can tell how much the official inflation measure means when the government uses a different one to work out what interest it charges on student loans (CPI Vs RPI).


somethineasytomember

That inflation number has been deflated a lot to keep people sane, it’s probably closer to 20% but hopefully won’t be sustained for too long.


Yvellkan

A year of throwing money at the pandemic will do that. Combine it with some shit decisions like brexit and you just exacerbate the problem.


[deleted]

I'm supposed to begin a postgraduate course on Monday. It's a new uni for me and a much bigger campus so I'm already anxious about that. I don't have a timetable from my university. I don't know who any of my lecturers are. I can only guess what my core modules are. I had to redo my parking permit application because I used my personal email address instead of my university email address. I've got another issue with Student Finance. But there's plenty of information about themed foam parties and Guinness. And everyone needs to know about the new fast food outlets on campus. My undergraduate university kept in touch with me from the moment I made my application. I was literally in contact with lecturers before I started and I was even given a list of recommended reading material that would either be on the course or would help. I don't know if I should...just...go...elsewhere.


Yvellkan

I think its a bit rash to be making judegments before you even start


Degeyter

How seriously is the "anything else UK related" part of the description applied here? Is it legit to just link to a Wikipedia page that people might find interesting about the UK or does it have to be current affairs related?


Leonichol

Yes. One can link to Wikipedia (we'd likely prefer a selfpost though). There would even be freedom of title provided it isn't ludicrous (as it isnt an article). Afterall, the idea is we like content that _encourages discussion_. Though there are considerations we make in that regard to prevent all sorts of silliness. Ofc, a mod may disagree and remove it for being crap, at their discreation.


Degeyter

Cool - is there some etiquette as to why a self post is preferred - not arguing just don’t really get the difference. I’ll admit I just found it funny that there were exactly 69 official cities in the UK.


Professor_Tarknassus

>exactly 69 official cities in the UK Nice.


Leonichol

We don't get a lot of it, so we've never seen a whole need to clarify... but it would be primarily about providing context. With an article, that is a given from the title and intro of the professional staff of the publication. With a link to something else, one relies entirely on the title of the layman OP, which in my experience, tends to be _awful_. In a selfpost OP gets to describe what is being linked, why it is interesting to the subbies, etc. Higher chance of people getting it, and joining in.


Degeyter

Layman OP is a fantastic term 😄. I will find a master to apprentice to in the hopes of reaching journeyman OP status.


strawman5757

Jesus, the queue for Sainsbury’s petrol station is now about 3 miles long, similar to the Shell one. I have 103 miles left according to the gauge thingy, going to have to drive sparingly now. Bloody clown panic buying idiots.


tmstms

I got some yesterday at 5.30 p.m. when the queuing was barely begun where I was- so I now have 400+ miles. Town centre was like a ghost town this aft- everyone saving petrol and not going in....


strawman5757

This is it, it’s been very quiet here too. And I was out of bog roll and needed something for tea, so instead of driving to Tesco express I took a stroll to Co-op, every mile helps at the moment. I’m thinking Thursday I’ll need petrol again, hopefully by then it’ll have died down a bit and won’t be in a queue up.


Paperduck2

Just get your wiccan friend to ask the spirit world which petrol stations aren't busy


strawman5757

I would but he’s doing a meditation class tonight, my Wiccan friend has 14 regulars who he teaches the arts of relaxation and deep spirituality.


cbawiththismalarky

Have you never been tempted to find some deep spirituality yourself?


strawman5757

I’ve been to some of his classes and experienced it yes, I can say now I’m a lot calmer than say 10 years ago, lots of things wash over me now whereas prior they’d make me eggbound.


cbawiththismalarky

Dare i ask "eggbound"?


strawman5757

Sorry, that means angry where I come from. I’m from deep in the Norfolk fens.


Original-Material301

The great loo roll shortage 2020 is now surpassed by the great fuel shortage 2021.


strawman5757

It’s beyond belief, it’s like 2000 all over again, and that was a royal pain in the arse.


Iveseenfootag3

Fucking absolutely winds my tits in that the media/government have come out and told people to not panic buy which has absolutely caused everyone to start. COVID doesn’t even give you the shits but people were buying toilet paper last year as if they were going to be on the toilet for the next decade.


oalfonso

Yesterday I saw a house with a garage still full of paper rolls, muppets! The best thing about petrol is they can get a very nasty surprise if they store large quantities of petrol in a garage. Also petrol degrades with time and can damage the car.


woyteck

My local Shell garage has 20L limiting, no petrol cans allowed, also they almost ran out of diesel. The other station, Esso did runout of diesel and only had the expensive one. Suddenly it's 2012 all again when we had tanker lorry drivers' strike. Regular fuel was out. Only premium fuels were available in my area.


X_Trisarahtops_X

I'm just sort of hoping it'll pass and by the time I need to refuel early to mid next week it'll maybe just... have passed.


strawman5757

This is me too Sarah, I wouldn’t join the 3 mile queue today with all the other idiots panic buying, I shall wait until Wednesday or Thursday and see what happens then, if it’s that bad I’ll walk up the petrol station and fill up some empty coke bottles, it might be illegal but they never say anything.


c12022

Where's all the money and freedom we were promised by leaving the EU? All I'm seeing is our fishing & agriculture industries dying at even faster rate. More people using foodbanks, and more people having to stress themselves out about just being warm this Winter.


mattkiss35

You're just not talking Britain up enough. Try harder.


Original-Material301

Hey you see this? Here's the freedom. *waves hand furiously*


Cant_Think_Of_UserID

Petrol Panic buying is in full swing in Skegness, just drove through town and Morrisons is rammed with people queuing on the road, Asda has been closed off with cones and Esso is same as Morrisons with 8 cars queued on the road and the station rammed, didn't see Tesco but imagine it's the same. I was supposed to be going to York tomorrow but can't see it happening now.


bacon_cake

I drove by a couple of petrol stations this morning that seemed fine. My poor colleague had 30miles left in the tank yesterday and used nearly all of them trying to find somewhere to fill up a few hours ago. I've got half a tank but I think I'll wait it out. Ultimately there isn't actually a *petrol* shortage so I reckon it'll blow over fairly soon... (famous last words)


fsv

I have a feeling that it will blow over relatively quickly. You can't hoard petrol in the same way as you could hoard toilet roll or tins of beans, so once the panic buyers have filled their tanks things should get back to business as usual fairly fast.


woyteck

This year's photos from the US show that people there hoarded petrol in whatever they could think of. And often with disastrous consequences.


Cant_Think_Of_UserID

The panic buying in 2012 didn't last too long, only about a week or so. Always makes me laugh though because people panic buy because of a perception of their station running out of fuel, which then causes their local stations to run out of fuel. Same with the Toilet Roll insanity when Covid started.


williamthebloody1880

If anyone wants a nostalgia hit, 6 Music is only playing stuff from 1991 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Nevermind by Nirvana


feist1

Anyone had any experience with the insurer "getsafe"? Currently getting quotes for content insurance and I'm getting "getsafe", but it doesn't seem to have amazing reviews (slow app/customer service etc). Any other recommendations? Cheers m'dears


EdgyEdgarH

Nearing one year anniversary of the [company](https://brewingbrowser.com/) that I started as a side hustle. As it combines all my hobbies (science, beer and writing) it has been a joy to set up and work on. If anything, focusing my efforts on something l love to do has greatly helped my mental state. Even with life being super hectic, politics failing and pandemic + fires raging. Sometimes you just have to train your eyes on a little light at the tunnel. Well, at least for me its true. That's my little rant over, I hope everyone is hanging in there. take care.


dgj130

Looks interesting mate, I'd love to homebrew if I trusted myself not to drink it to excess! Yep after 18 months of my mental health being absolutely battered by Covid and the news cycle, it's starting to look a little more optimistic now. Got to keep going.


EdgyEdgarH

I hear ya mate. Hang in there! As for brewing and drinking, there’s always the small batch brewing option! Feel free to contact me if you need any help getting started!


strawman5757

Going to have lunch in our usual cafe with my Wiccan friend later. My Wiccan friend phoned up earlier and said he’s got some news about a direction he’s going to go in now he’s “free from the world of work” as he puts it, my Wiccan friend is going to concentrate on the paranormal a bit more than his other duties he does. My Wiccan friend is going to tell me about a ghost walk he’s going to run in the week leading up to Samhain (Halloween), he’s thinking 3 different villages or towns with 2 nights in each. I’m going to suggest Borley, Lavenham and Clare for the 3 places and see what my Wiccan friend says to my suggestions, and I promised I’d go on one of his walks as it’s extremely interesting, and my Wiccan friend has great knowledge and expertise in all things paranormal. Anyway, have a good Thursday all, the sun is out so it’s an ideal day to top up your tan.


GunNut345

As an editing note you only have to say Wiccan friend once unless speaking about multiple friends. From there you should just refer to him as your friend. Repeating "my Wiccan friend" three times a paragraph just comes off weird.


bazpaul

Don’t mind him. He’s a few screws loose. Poor guy just craves attention with all the nonsense he posts daily. Very sad. He sounds like an alcoholic too. Hope he gets some help


strawman5757

And this coming from “bazpaul”, a guy who is quick to judge yet slow to look in the mirror. Alcoholic indeed, I haven’t had a piss up since Friday night, it’s now Thursday so go do one.


MaddisonSplatter

He’s a weird character actor and this writing style is part of his shtick.


strawman5757

Well I dunno about that mate. Anyway, me and my Wiccan friend went to the cafe, my Wiccan friend had a sausage and bacon baguette and chips, I had an all day breakfast with extra fried bread. My Wiccan friend was saying he’s picked on Lavenham, Bradfield Combust and Sudbury for his 3 ghost walks, or as he calls them “paranormal strolls”, I said I’d go to the Sudbury one and bring along Panda, my Wiccan friend was delighted and said our tickets would be half price. My Wiccan friend also gave me some tomatoes and taters from his allotment, I said I’d eat the taters tonight with sausages, and do a salsa tomorrow with His tomatoes for chicken wraps.


tmstms

Where are the tomatoes being grown? In the open or in some way under cover? It has been a FANTASTIC year for potatoes.


strawman5757

In the open, they were small but very tasty, had a taste not far off a strawberry actually. My Wiccan friend also gave me 4 huge beef tomatoes the size of cricket balls, he said “put them in a paper bag to ripen boy” so they’re in a bag on the windowsill.


Esky_Peroo

Well that was well done. I laughed.


bazpaul

Please don’t feed the crazies


strawman5757

Thanks mate, I can only write as I see it and people know who I’m on about when I talk about my Wiccan friend. I mean anyone is welcome to join one of my Wiccan friends paranormal strolls, then they’d get to meet a great guy who knows more about the paranormal than anyone. You know my Wiccan friend can talk to people who’ve passed over? I always get downvoted on here for saying it as people have closed minds over the subject, but again anyone is welcome to attend one of my Wiccan friends spirit readings or clairvoyant open evenings.


JungleDwarf

Oi, pack the explotation of people who have had kin and loved ones pass on in! Your friend is a charlatan!


strawman5757

He isn’t, he’s a proper medium, unlike some of these fly by nights you see on telly. My Wiccan friend had a couple approach him, their son had been killed in a motorcycle accident and wanted to know if he was ok in the spirit realm, my Wiccan friend contacted him and told the parents details only they would know, ie his tattoo on his knee, his girlfriends favourite food or song, and my Wiccan friend said he was at peace and wanted his parents to know that. They came in the room sceptics and left believers. I know clowns who have no imagination will downvote but that’s the crux of it.


JungleDwarf

I think your Wiccan friend should be investigated for the murder of that couples son.


strawman5757

Lol you daft bugger, apparently the lad went under a lorry, it was a winters morning and his motorbike slipped on a patch of black ice and he was crushed under the wheels. Look, all my Wiccan friend is doing is relaying messages from the spirit realm, you can believe or not but that’s what’s happening.


DreamingIntoTheVoid

I just want to apologise for my comments the other day where I called Richard Madeley a tax avoiding b-list celebrity given his one sided attempts to gotchya an insulate Britain activist. It appears that my comments may have infuriated a couple of not-even b-list celebrities in to taking another swing today. I'm sorry that I didn't even think of you as famous enough to comment. In the same way I don't think of the furniture at an art gallery as art. I mean if you think about it, maybe I guess you are, but I'd forget due to disinterest by a moment later. Anyway. What was I talking about? Oh that's right he insulate Britain guy and the clickbait clowns. Don't you have something better to report on? I mean like actually agreeing with the guy rather than trying to take him down because nobody knows who you are?


Yvellkan

Lol.


skipavelli

Stop demonising electric scooters.


Yvellkan

No one is demonising them. But they do need regulating heavily


am3l1a

so why are rented ones not demonised - why dont you require a licence to rent one?


Paperduck2

You do need a license to rent one. It's part of the reason they're legal but a privately owned one isn't. You have to scan your driving license to unlock them


am3l1a

thanks - i was actually not aware of that and it makes a lot of sense then.


Leonichol

Does it? Seems to be to be exclusionary to people that can't afford (or qualify for) provisionals, and a barrier to their casual use! I really don't understand why they're required from a Legitimate Aim perspective. Other than perhaps, some form of data gathering to detemine who is using etc.


woyteck

It at least shows that you know some of the Highway Code.


Leonichol

Not sure it does. There is no such test or anything.


woyteck

I was thinking from my perspective, as I already have a full driving license.


tomoldbury

A provisional license is £34. Those e-scooters are about £0.20/min around me, so realistically if the provisional license is holding them back they’re not going to be able to afford much time on the scooter either. Plus it provides some liability in the event of an incident, which might make people think before they behave like a twat


am3l1a

I think they can cause more damage to pederstrians. There should be some sort protection for pedestrians when something can injure them if used incorrectly - sort of like a gun licence. You want to know that the people who them them are responsible.


Leonichol

Absolutely. A provisional doesn't do that though. It's a 10 year photo ID and nothing more. What would be better, is a Training Course on riding safely and ensuring the maintenance of the vehicle. A bit like a CBT but with more emphasis on hazard perception and safety.


Paperduck2

How is it any different to a car in that regard? E-scooters are currently classified as Personal Light Electric Vehicles (PLEVs), so they're treated as motor vehicles and are subject to all the same legal requirements – MOT, tax, licensing and specific construction. Because they don’t always have visible rear lights or a number plate, they can’t be used on the road. You would also technically need a driving licence to operate one. It's nothing to do with data mining, it's because you need a license to use one legally


Leonichol

Erm. That isn't true there Pd2. Escoots can't be used legally _outside_ of a trial scheme in the UK. So you can't use your own publically at anytime, anywhere. The only place you can use your own one is private land. I don't know whether you could technically modify an escoot with the neccessary safety features for road safety and have it assessed - I'm not sure if anyone has tried. Trial scheme scooters (the ones that often ask for the Provisional Licence) can be used on roads, legally, and do not require anything regarding plates or indicators. Not even a helmet. But they can't be used on paths (not sure about cycle paths). They do not require a MOT, tax, licensing, or a specific construction. Though the trial operator may be required to insure the riders on their behalf.


Yvellkan

They are lol


Leonichol

Idk. Being not allowed anywhere except when rented from a known scheme seems pretty regulated to me. I'd say the opposite, they need less regulation. I'd go further and turn them into a revenue stream. Anything over 10mph requires tax, insurance, and the completion of a safe riding course - no matter if you're 13 or 31. With _sensibile_ residential speed limits. 5mph or less when passing pedestrians. And funds used to extend cycle paths for their usage. Actual paths, not roadside paint.


Yvellkan

No they definitely need more regulation. They should ALL be taxed and licences and testing should be required. They should all also have registration plates


Leonichol

All good except the plates. They're a bit wide and don't really make sense in context. Requiring them to be registered and 'chipped' (like pets) however is probably fine. But not sure of the benefit.


Yvellkan

They make perfect sense for the same reason car plates do


Leonichol

Bit big for a scoot. And a reasonable size would make them too small for most cameras. What is the actual issue you're thinking to resolve? There's probs a better way.


Yvellkan

If they are too big they will just slow people down... which is good


Leonichol

Turning circle and/or sharpness hazard, depending on location. Bit daft all in. They're not cars - displaying a big number for the benefit of roadside speed cameras and ID is... well, stupid.


Yvellkan

Turning corcle shouldn't matter. Its just an item to get from a to b.


KamikazeChief

Trade. Failed Brexit. Failed Ireland. Failed Energy. Failed NHS. Failed Economy. Failed Food. Failed Getting the picture yet?


leaskovski

Yup... Im getting that sense of we are fucked as a country.


bazpaul

Euros Failed


[deleted]

The problem is Boris's fans don't understand stuff, so all he has to do is give the impression of doing a good job Take his deal, which was clearly shit but they gobbled it up


am3l1a

They are not getting the facts from the media. BBC is so biased and reports the party line.


Remarkable-Ad155

Re masks on public transport, this is the second time in a week I just completely forgot to take one with me from home. Problem is, first time I was nervous at first in case someone said something but I made sure to sit apart from people and no-one batted an eyelid. I think subconsciously something ticked over in my brain to say "not a big deal anymore". I wonder if this is partly why we are seeing a decrease in compliance?


Onyx_Rhino

This is the UK they probably just sat there thinking you're a thundercunt.


digital_bubblebath

Its so nice isnt it?


Original-Material301

Going to rant here. I'm am so annoyed with digital billboards. They're fine during the day but god damn are they so annoying at night. It's like someone decided they want to blind all the drivers at night, especially with the ads that are BRIGHT AS FUCK WHITE. I'm looking at you, wellwoman. Rant over.


[deleted]

Massively downvoted for calling Kamala Harris a racist Bros... you... you do know her record for incarcerating black men on minor charges right?


Degeyter

Why the hell are we discussing American politics here as if there's not the entire rest of the internet for that?


[deleted]

It was on a post about Boris and her


DaveChild

> you do know her record for incarcerating black men on minor charges right? What, she was prowling the streets by night, arresting black men and locking them up? She made the law, enforced the law, convicted these people, and sent them to jail? Is that what you're suggesting?


[deleted]

She withheld information that would have seen an innocent man exonerated until subpoenaed and forced to do so


DaveChild

Have you given up on calling her a racist then? Let's save us both some time - if you're going to make claims, can you provide a source please? You can't expect people to just being able to guess what you're talking about, so link to an article or something.


[deleted]

Racist is subjective. Do you think putting black people behind bars for minor offences that (affluent) white people would evade jail time for is racist? It's an open question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgjm6xPJeaA


DaveChild

> Do you think putting black people behind bars for minor offences that (affluent) white people would evade jail time for is racist? Are you under the impression that Harris was the person arresting these people, and passing a case to prosecutors? Or are you arguing that Harris should have made sure the law was only enforced on white offenders and let black ones off? America has a problem with systemic racism, obviously. Your question is an example of one part of that. But you are arguing that Harris is racist, so you'll need to show *her actions* were racist. > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgjm6xPJeaA What is it you think this shows? Prosecutors sometimes do wrongly convict people, this isn't news. And prosecutors are not magically immune to criminal behaviour from the police, also not news.


[deleted]

> America has a problem with systemic racism, obviously. Your question is an example of one part of that. But you are arguing that Harris is racist, so you'll need to show her actions were racist. So people who are actively part of a racist system... aren't racist?


DaveChild

> So people who are actively part of a racist system... aren't racist? Being part of a systemically racist system does not make you racist. That should be pretty obvious. For a hypothetical example, if some of the police were racist then you'd expect prosectors to end up prosecuting more black cases, proportionally, than they would otherwise prosecute, yet the racism was introduced elsewhere in the system. It seems increasingly obvious you've got no actual argument that she's racist, so I'll leave it there until you do.


[deleted]

> Being part of a systemically racist system does not make you racist. Actively participating in it as a major figure does. You're just diffusing responsibility at this point, and also showing the problem with Critical Race Theory-style thinking


am3l1a

She is a racist. And if you judge her by her policies then they are racist. Fuck her.


Yvellkan

Who cares. She's american


am3l1a

> Kamala Harris unfortunately the policies / actions affect us and the world. Its naive not to care - but would love not to care


Yvellkan

There is a difference between not caring and knowing what is relevant to be posted where


[deleted]

She happened to meet a guy recently who happens to be the elected leader of our country


Yvellkan

So?


[deleted]

That meeting was described in an Article That article was then posted to a website That website was Reddit The very same reddit you read at this moment


Yvellkan

Still not sure what relevance yoir comment has to the uk


[deleted]

There was an article about Boris and Kamala meeting. Someone called Boris a racist. I said he was in good company


Yvellkan

Haven't seen that


SonicHedgehogNinja

I'd downvote you. I've noticed British people who know absolutely nothing about U.S. politics, wringing their hands about Kamala Harris in a way that they never did with Donald Trump, despite Trump's obviously far more egregious offences. I'm talking the sort of chavs who would laugh off all of the shit that Trump pulled but they will express moral outrage over some alleged aspect of "hypocrisy" by Kamala Harris. Scratch them and they turn out to be very unpleasant racists and sexists. I have a relative who fits this profile. What it is about is that they are spooked by a smart coloured woman in a position of power, so they're particularly exercised about Kamala Harris and they will find various excuses. Of course, there is surely legitimate criticism of her, but it just looks very suspicious coming from British people who are slow even to criticise our own elected politicians.


[deleted]

> I've noticed British people who know absolutely nothing about U.S. politics, wringing their hands about Kamala Harris in a way that they never did with Donald Trump, despite Trump's obviously far more egregious offences. Fallacy one: constructing a straw man. I didn't like Trump. > What it is about is that they are spooked by a smart coloured woman in a position of power, so they're particularly exercised about Kamala Harris and they will find various excuses. Or maybe... some of us just don't like pieces of shit. Biden. Trump. Hillary. Obama. Clinton. They can all rot in hell > Of course, there is surely legitimate criticism of her, but it just looks very suspicious coming from British people who are slow even to criticise our own elected politicians. In the OP, I literally called Boris a racist. I've also noticed a particularly weak minded sort who will defend a 'smart coloured woman in a position of power' regardless of her record. Are you won over that easily?